How can I use the white balance feature to get the most accurate colors in my photos?
How to White Balance on iPhone: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques
White balance is a critical setting when taking photos or videos on your iPhone. It helps to ensure that the colors in your images are accurate and natural, rather than looking too cool or too warm. In this article, we’ll cover some tips, tricks, and techniques for how to white balance on your iPhone.
What is White Balance?
To understand white balance, you first need to know a little bit about color temperature. Essentially, color temperature refers to how “warm” or “cool” the colors in a photo or video look. Warmer colors (like reds and oranges) have a lower color temperature, while cooler colors (like blues and greens) have a higher color temperature.
White balance is a setting on your camera that helps to ensure that white objects appear truly white, regardless of the color temperature. When white balance is not set correctly, white objects can appear yellowish or bluish in your photos or videos.
How to Adjust White Balance on iPhone
In most cases, your iPhone’s automatic white balance setting will do a decent job of balancing colors for you. However, sometimes you may want more control over the look of your images. Here are three ways to adjust white balance on your iPhone:
Method 1: Use the “Choose a lighting effect” tool in the Camera app
The Camera app on your iPhone has a helpful tool that lets you choose a lighting effect. This tool can help you adjust the white balance depending on the lighting conditions you’re shooting in.
- Open the Camera app on your iPhone.
- At the top of the screen, you’ll see several icons. Swipe to the left until you see the “Choose a lighting effect” icon (which looks like a circle with three lines inside).
- Select the lighting effect that best matches your shooting conditions. For example, if you’re shooting indoors with tungsten lighting, select the “Incandescent” option. If you’re shooting in natural daylight, select the “Daylight” option.
Method 2: Use a third-party camera app with manual white balance settings
If you want even more control over your white balance, you can use a third-party camera app that lets you manually adjust the white balance. Two popular examples are ProCamera and Camera+ 2.
- Download and install the camera app of your choice.
- Open the app and find the white balance settings. They might be located in a menu, or you may need to tap a specific part of the screen to bring them up.
- Adjust the white balance using the app’s tools. Some apps will let you manually set the color temperature, while others may use sliders or other controls.
Method 3: Edit white balance in post-processing
If you’ve already taken a photo or video and didn’t get the white balance quite right, don’t worry! You can still adjust it using editing software. Here are two popular options:
- Photos app: If you’re using an iPhone running iOS 14 or later, you can adjust white balance directly in the Photos app. Simply select the photo you want to edit, tap the “Edit” button, and then tap the “Adjust” icon. From there, you can adjust the white balance using the “Temp” slider.
- Adobe Lightroom: If you prefer more advanced editing options, Adobe Lightroom is an excellent choice. You can adjust the white balance using the “Temp” and “Tint” sliders in the Develop module.
White balance can make a big difference in the quality of your photos and videos. While your iPhone’s automatic white balance setting will usually do a good job, there are times when you might want more control over the colors in your images. By using the tips, tricks, and techniques outlined in this article, you’ll be able to take better photos and videos with accurate and natural-looking colors.
White balance is an important feature on your iPhone that helps to ensure the colors in your photos are consistent and true-to-life. While it won’t always be necessary, learning how to adjust the white balance on your iPhone will ensure that your photos look their best. Here’s how to white balance on your iPhone:
1. Begin by enabling Auto White Balance on your iPhone. This setting can be found in the Camera app, under the Settings menu. You will want to make sure that the Auto White Balance setting is turned on.
2. If you’re trying to adjust the white balance for a photo, you can do so while taking the photo. Simply look for the “WB” button in the Camera app. This will allow you to adjust the white balance for the photo you’re about to take.
3. You can also adjust the white balance after you’ve taken a photo. To do this, open the photo and select the “Edit” option from the toolbar. This will bring up a slider for white balance that you can use to adjust the colors in the photo.
4. Once you’re happy with how your white balance has been set, save the photo.
White balance is an important tool when trying to get accurate colors and tones in your photos. Remember to always experiment with the white balance setting and see how the colors and tones of your photos change. With the right settings, your photos will look their best.