What accessories would be needed to complete a Christopher Columbus costume?
Do It Yourself Christopher Columbus Costume
Are you looking for an easy and affordable way to dress up as Christopher Columbus for Halloween or a history project? Look no further than this simple do-it-yourself costume guide.
- White long-sleeved shirt
- Dark pants or leggings
- Black or brown boots
- Red scarf or bandana
- Cardboard or poster board
- Gold paint
- Black felt-tip pen
- Glue stick
1. Start with a white long-sleeved shirt and dark pants or leggings. Columbus was a sailor, so the clothing should look practical and suitable for work.
2. Pair the shirt and pants with black or brown boots. Columbus and his crew sailed across the Atlantic in 1492, so it’s important to wear sturdy shoes.
3. Tie a red scarf or bandana around your neck, or wear it as a headband. This is optional but adds a pop of color to the outfit.
4. Make a cardboard hat to complete the costume. Cut a circle out of the cardboard or poster board, about 12 inches in diameter. Cut a straight line from the edge to the center of the circle, then overlap the edges and glue them together to make a cone shape.
5. Paint the hat with gold paint and let it dry. Once it’s dry, use a black felt-tip pen to draw a zigzag line around the bottom of the hat to create the appearance of Spanish-style trim.
6. Cut a small strip of cardboard and tape it to the bottom of the hat to create a brim. Tape or glue the hat to your head, making sure it fits securely.
With this simple costume, you’ll look like you’re ready to set sail and explore the unknown, just like Christopher Columbus did over 500 years ago. Don’t forget to brush up on your history and knowledge of Columbus before your big debut as this famous explorer.
Happy Halloween or history project day!
Ah, a classic costume for the age-old explorer Christopher Columbus. Whether it be for a school presentation, a historical reenactment, or a costume party, it’s time to pull out the heavy artillery and put on your best DIY Christopher Columbus costume.
First, for the outfit, consider going for a classic look that calls back to the late 15th Century. Start with a pair of white long sleeves, brown long johns, and a pair of tall boots. You can try wearing a tuxedo vest over a white shirt or linen undershirt or try leather body armor and leather gloves if you’re going for a more rugged look. Throw a red cape over the ensemble and double knot a black belt if you’re feeling extra fancy.
Next, you’re going to want to pick up a couple of accessories. A basic tricorn hat can be found in many costume shops, but you can also try making your own using felt and some basic sewing supplies. Be sure to complete the look with a beard – if you have the goods, by all means go for a full sailor’s beard; if not, a fake one you can find at a party store is sure to do the trick. For some additional items, consider adding a pocket watch, a spyglass, and a map.
Finally, it’s time to find the perfect addition to round out your look: a replica of Christopher Columbus’ signature three-masted ship, the Santa Maria. You can make your own with cardboard and glue or transform a model wooden boat into the legendary craft. Make sure to add a few flags on top to give the illusion of a seafaring vessel.
With all the pieces assembled, you’ve got the perfect costume to bring Christopher Columbus to life! So throw on your hat and buckle up your belt, ready to explore a world of adventure.