What type of wild rice is best for making soup?
The humble soup is one of the most underrated dishes that can be served on any dining table. It’s simple, satisfying, healthy and delicious. And the best part is you can always create a different soup just by changing the ingredients. One such amazing soup is the Wild Rice Soup. You might have had a variety of rice-based dishes, but it is time to give Wild Rice Soup a try. Today, we will share a recipe from a couple who makes a heavenly pot of Wild Rice Soup.
- 1 cup Uncooked Wild Rice Blend, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 Carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
- 3 Celery Stalks, sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp. Dried Rosemary (or 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary)
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme (or 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme)
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Turmeric
- 2 cups Cooked Chickpeas (or 1 can, drained and rinsed)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Baby Spinach Leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup Non-dairy Milk (optional)
- In a pot, cook the wild rice with 3 cups of water until they are soft and tender, approximately 45 minutes.
- In another pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then add the onions and stir until they are translucent.
- Add the carrots and the celery and cook for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, smoked paprika, turmeric, vegetable broth, and chickpeas, bring it all to boil and let it simmer for another 15-20 minutes.
- When the rice is soft, pour off any excess water and add it to the pot of soup, stirring until it is blended with the rest of the soup.
- Stir in the spinach and let it cook for about five more minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and stir in non-dairy milk (if desired) and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
This sumptuous soup is incredibly nutritious and comforting, and perfect for the chilly days of winter. It is a creamy, flavourful soup that will warm your heart and soul. Bon Appétit!
The homemade meals of a couple from Minnesota were recently highlighted in a local newspaper article. They have been enjoying cooking together in their home for years, and one of their favorite recipes is a wild rice soup.
The couple starts by cooking wild rice on the stovetop until it’s just slightly undercooked. Meanwhile, they melt butter in a dutch oven and sauté yellow onion, celery, and carrots until the vegetable are softened. They then stir in the rice, chicken broth, and seasonings, stirring until the ingredients are blended. For added texture and flavor, the couple adds diced cooked chicken, cooked pearl onions, and chopped parsley.
Once the soup is fully cooked, they ladle it into bowls and garnish it with extra parsley and crumbled bacon if desired. The resulting dish is a delicious combination of nutty wild rice and savory vegetables.
This hearty soup is a simple way to feel nourished without taking up t too much time. Plus, it can easily be customized to fit whatever ingredients are available in the kitchen. The couple has been using this wild rice soup recipe for years, and it’s the perfect comfort food for cold days or when comfort is needed.
The ability to craft a homemade meal together has been a source of joy for this couple – a way to take pleasure in cooking for each other and sharing a delicious meal in the comfort of their own home. With a simple recipe like this wild rice soup, anyone can recreate these moments of joy for themselves.